Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Get back to real work, Congress

OK, I must say that I have always liked John McCain more than most politicians, but his involvement in the NFL steroid hearings disappoints me. I don't really have any reason to think that McCain wouldn't take part in something like this, but I'm not happy because this is such a waste of Congress's time. First, they did it with MLB, now the NFL. Steroid use is probably a problem in professional sports. I don't know for sure because I haven't been following the hearings. But doesn't Congress have more important things to do than to hold meetings to state the obvious? If not, here are a couple of similar ideas. Let's bring in record label execs and musicians to get them on the record about their drug use. Or television producers and comedians to find out about theirs. I always heard the Saturday Night Live had a great drug table backstage. Or one that I would much rather see than any of this is to bring Catholic bishops and priests before a Congressional hearing to testify on their roles in the sex abuse scandal. Threaten to revoke the Church's tax exempt status. Get Cardinal Law to answer some scathing questions for everyone to hear.

I know the arguments for these hearings. Athletes are heroes for many kids. And giving them carte blanche with performance enhancers doesn't present a good example. But why the hell should Congress be involved? Aren't there much more important things to deal with? I can think of about 500. Congress, end these absurd hearings and get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home