Saturday, June 10, 2006

Laptop Distro Upgrade

I'll have to come back and flesh this review out, but I'm just putting a quick note down here that I just upgraded from Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) to 6.06 (Dapper Drake). Overall, it was a mostly seemless upgrade. The upgrade process did bomb, for some reason, with about 4 minutes to go (out of a process that took over 2.5 hours). From what I can see, the only problem that resulted are 1) some icons did not get installed (no big deal), and 2) files were not cleaned up. Before the upgrade, I have 7 GB free on my hard drive. Now I have 5.5. I think I'm going to have to look for some stuff to kill to free up some space.

Other than those issues above, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. The boot process is quicker and appears to be a bit more reliable. I got the much-needed upgrade to Firefox 1.5. The one thing that I am really hoping for an improvement in is the wireless handling. After the reboot, I can connect to my router quickly and smoothly. I really hope that's worked out. Everything else looks good. I'll have to play around some more and see how things are working.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

Dapper Drake? Breezy Badger? Who are these people?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home