Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Great Music

I feel like procrastinating a little bit before going to lunch, so I'm going to put up a quick post here. I saw a post a short while ago (can't remember where I saw it, sorry), that offered a ranking of the 10 best albums. I have to admit that I love lists like this. I always enjoyed those list-themed shows on VH-1. [Digression: I think one of my favorites was called, "The List." Each show had a theme (e.g., "greatest rock anthem," or "greatest make-out album") and the celebrities on the show would each give three nominations. After all the nominations, the celebs each vetoed one and the audience would then vote.]

So, this particular list included greats like OK Computer, Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, Nevermind, and Dark Side of the Moon. All great albums, to be sure. Inspired by this, here are two very tough lists to make. My ten nominations for excellent albums (not best of all time, just great ones that people who love music should listen to if they never have):


  • Tori Amos, Boys for Pele

  • Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head

  • Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

  • Live, Throwing Copper

  • Moby, Play

  • NIN, The Fragile

  • Pearl Jam, Ten

  • Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon

  • Radiohead, Kid A

  • Red Hot Chili Peppers, Californication

  • Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream

  • Stereolab, Emperor Tomato Ketchup

  • Yes, Close to the Edge



OK, so that's 13. It's my list, so I don't care. I can't pick any of those to take off the list anyways. Oh, and here are some artists for honorable mentions: Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Nirvana, 10,000 Maniacs, Billy Joel, Jimi Hendrix, the Clash. U2 and REM are disqualified because almost all of their albums consist of this odd, dichotomous blend of musical genius with unlistenable filler garbage. I cannot point to any of there albums that are great for more than half of the tracks.

Now, the other list. Ten great songs that I will never tire of hearing:


  • Billy Joel, "The Downeaster Alexa"

  • REM, "Losing My Religion"

  • 10,000 Maniacs, "Because the Night"

  • Dave Brubeck, "Take Five"

  • The Clash, "London Calling"

  • Dire Straits, "Romeo and Juliet"

  • DMB, "Crush"

  • Annie Lennox, "Don't Let It Bring You Down"

  • The Moody Blues, "Nights in White Satin"

  • Seal, "Crazy"

  • Simon and Garfunkel, "America"

  • Tool, "Sober"

  • The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"



Yes, once again, that's 13 because I can't count and I don't care. I'm not going to bother with an honorable mention list, because that would take about 5 pages.

OK, time for lunch. Feel free to rattle off your own nominations.

3 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

10 Great and/or Classic Albums, in no particular order:

1) Planxty - The Woman I Loved So Well
2) Bothy Band - First Album, 1975
3) Micheal O'Reilly - The Nervous Man
4) My Love Is In America: Boston College Fiddle Festival
5) Tannahill Weavers - The Tannahill Weavers
6) Solas - Solas
7) Altan - Island Angel
8) Fiddlers' Bid - Naked and Bare
9) La Bottine Souriante - Je veux changer mon chapeau
10) Battlefield Band - Happy Daze

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I knew the Tannahill Weavers would be on your list. But no Donnybrook? Come on, man. Where is your loyalty? Haha...

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger DelorumRex said...

hey mate.. I just posted the 10,000 maniacs video (Because the Night) on my blog.. come see if you like.. Random Thoughts, Randomer Speelings
Peace,
DeRex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home