Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Who Needs Reality-Based Reality?

This is truly unbelievable. Apparently the Bush administration doesn't believe in transcripts that are accurate. Check out this page. It's the press briefing from October 31. Here's what the transcript says a short way down the page:
Q Whether there's a question of legality, we know for a fact that there was involvement. We know that Karl Rove, based on what he and his lawyer have said, did have a conversation about somebody who Patrick Fitzgerald said was a covert officer of the Central Intelligence Agency. We know that Scooter Libby also had conversations.

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't think that's accurate.

Watch the video on the same page. Apparently McClellan can speak at supersonic speeds. Those three words, "I don't think," are never spoken. They are a figment of the imagination of the transcriber. But having them in the official transcript sure does come across as an attempt to un-speak McClellan's words. Nah. Our highly moral government would never stoop to such levels...

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

It could be just human error... maybe.

I find it highly amusing that every press conference with McClellan that I read about just sounds incredibly tense. I'm surprised the guy hasn't burst a capillary in his brain yet.

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, I followed the link to watch the press conference and follow along with the transcript. Not a SINGLE mistake was made by the transcriber, for the entire 5 minutes and forty-odd seconds leading up to the quote (misquote) pointed out by Michael. I replayed that section five times to make sure it wasn't just a microphone blip. There is no lip movement before the two words, "that's accurate," were uttered.

I wonder why they (whoever "they" is) even bothered to doctor up that line in the transcript. I doubt that one altered line will influenced anyone who takes their time to read the transcript anyway.

Am I a bad person for having enjoyed seeing McClellan get put on the spot and have his booty kicked in this press conference?

It's just that I have this problem: I like it when people tell the truth and don't like being lied to.

Brianne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home