Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Quick Movie Reviews

I had mentioned Good Night, and Good Luck and A History of Violence as two movies I wanted to see. I have now seen them both. As a friend pointed out, there are parts that are not easy to watch. The violence is raw and real. I agree that Viggo Mortensen should get an Oscar nomination for this one, but I don't know that it necessarily deserves to win. The acting overall is very good, especially Jack, the son. The one major complaint that I have with the movie is the shortness of the conflict with William Hurt. I thought the movie was developing very nicely up to that point. The scene in the mansion was far too hurried and came across as sloppy filmmaking. I wanted more development there and more build-up. I did absolutely love the final scene when the protagonist returns home.

David Strathairn in Good Night, and Good Luck gets my nomination for best actor. This was a phenomenal movie. Yes, Clooney's politics are obvious. Yes, it is evident that he is trying to make a statement on the current Republican government. However, the points and parallels are all valid. "We do not defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home," and "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty" are two quotes that are very timely. The fact that these words were spoken long ago does give the movie more weight and validity. Strathairn's performance was beautiful. And his speech at the beginning of the movie regarding the corrupting influence of sponsorship on television as powerful. I see Oscar nominations and probable wins for this movie.

And lastly, I am now the proud owner of Batman Begins, the best superhero movie that I can think of. Good acting. Well constructed story. And so much brooding darkness. Fantastic.

3 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Marissa said...

I totally agree about the William Hurt scene in A History of Violence. There was something about it that was just slightly off, but I couldn't place my finger on it (and it wasn't enough to ruin my enjoyment of it or the movie itself) but yes, I think it was just a bit too hurried. (And frankly, I was enjoying Hurt's character and acting so much, I would have been quite happy with some more screen time with him.) I really want to see, but have not yet seen, Clooney's film... I will have to get back to you on that after I check it out!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Hubby wants to see the "History of Violence" but I don't like violent movies...need to have him go with a friend. The Clooney movie sounds good, though, and we both loved "Batman Begins".

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Michael said...

For the most part, A History of Violence is not a violent movie. The vast majority of the film is spent in dialogue or tense silence that shows the effects of violence. However, the scenes that are violent are extremely brutal and (no pun intended) pull no punches. That is what makes the dialogue and the tension so effective.

And Rissa, I agree that Hurt's character was interesting. Not the role that I'm used to seeing him in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home