Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A Good Sign

I applaud the American Academy of Pediatrics for this decision despite opposition from the Bush Administration and conservative groups. Personally, I give much more weight to the opinions of Drs. Jonathan Klein and S. Paige Hertweck (you know, doctors working in pediatrics and gynecology) than to Wade Horn, assistant secretary for children and families at HHS (note the lack of "doctor" before his name).

The article mentions the Medical Institute for Sexual Health being opposed to the move. Looking at that group's web site, I find that they were founded to confront the "global epidemics of nonmarital pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease." Nonmarital pregnancy is a global epidemic? If they had said teenage pregnancy, I could have seen them as potentially a science-based group. However, the choice of the word nonmarital leads me to believe this is a Christian-based group pushing a moral agenda.

Anyways, applause for the American Academy of Pediatrics for following science instead of politics.

4 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "abstinence only" camp consistently fries me. I don't know why they bug me so much, since it isn't like their opinions or propaganda baloney are "new" in any way, but it bugs me nonetheless. If you want to go All Abstinence All The Time, then great, teach it in your house from sun-up to sun-down. But what I don't get is the ostrich head-in-the-sand refusal to see reality in which those folks are entrenched. It doesn't work. What's that saying? Something like, "the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." So, does that mean the abstinence-only group is insane? I love blended analogies. [And yup, as if you couldn't tell, I am one of your "regular readers" that until a couple of days ago you didn't know you had! I check your page every single day for new witticisms and commentaries. You're my real-world Jon Stewart, and I mean that as a high compliment.]

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

Hmmm... is this the Marissa I know from college?

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, "Sock Knitter!" Since I've linked to your blog on previous occasions, I know who you are and I can affirm that I the Marissa you knew from college. How are you? Email me sometime, if you'd like. It's my firstname.lastname@gmail.com (except, you know, with my actual names instead of the words "firstname" and "lastname").

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Awww, gee thanks! Getting compared to Jon Stewart is a very big compliment for me. The Daily Show is one of the only things I care to watch on TV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home